Monday, August 13, 2007

School 2.0

While school 2.o is interesting, it seems somewhat mechanical. I know it is just a sketch but there isn't much room for other important things in life. The whole concept of this model is thought provoking. The one thing that struck me as I observed this model was the people wheel. There is a lot of people involved, a lot of stakeholders. As I look at the wheel, it seems as though we have all of these people involved in learning today. Some may not be as involved as they should (students) some may be involved a bit too much and some may be so far removed from education and how it works that the decisions they make cloud the issues at hand. I also see the potential for the technology to "take off" as long as we are supportive of each others needs and learning hurdles that may come.
I especially like the learning ecosystem and how it includes not just a school building, but the combination of home, school and community that collaborates to bring the wider world into day to day instruction and provide a rich array of learning opportunities. I think educators often try to do this as they teach...to provide a rich array of learning opportunities, but I don't think the support outside of school is always there. To get everyone on the same page as this model proposes would be a great accomplishment.
As I look at this model and think of my own job, I don't see it. If I were to change anything, it would be to include those of us that "provide the break" for the classroom teachers. I think a well rounded child should have a grasp of what art is, what it's like to sing or play music, the knowledge of how proper nutrition and physical exercise promotes a healthy lifestyle. Things like that are missing from this model and it is something I would definitely change to make it a better, stronger community.

No comments: