Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Lesson 5 - Online Video Resources

This lesson was pretty interesting. The resource I liked the least in terms of educational value was clipblast. It makes me a bit nervous that there are no filters or tagging for inappropriate things. After that I guess 3rd place in my eyes would be you tube. I like it for personal things but not for teaching anything. Seems a bit scatterered to me. Teacher tube and Next Vista were pretty cool sites education wise. My personal favorite was Next Vista. I really liked how they had everything catagorized and broken down, (really liked the concepts of "light bulb", "global views" and "seeing service"). It was very user friendly and I really enjoyed that it was very student centered. I think kids are more open to watching their peers and learning from what they have to say. Teacher tube was catagorized too but not as much as Next Vista. The other plus for Next Vista was the rules they have before any videos were posted. If we are going to use these sites in our classroom, there should be rules to make the video and have it posted. Teacher tube was somewhat filtered but no rules, material was flagged if found to be inappropriate.
Basically, I found that Next Vista was easiest to use and clipblast would be a little less user friendly. I could totally see Next Vista being a great tool in my subject area as little bits could be posted on exemplary physical demonstrations for things like throwing or kicking to name a few. It would also be great to get the kids into the technology aspect of things as they could do the video taping, editing and making sure they are following the rules of the site. It would be a great collaboration with the classroom teacher as well.
I knew about you tube but the other sites were new to me. It's great to have these free online video resources but like everything else, there is a time and place for what each is good for. These lessons are definitely challenging my thinking and making my head spin in terms of what I would like to try this coming school year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it would be great if you and your students could create some demo, how-to videos for Phys. Ed. to submit to NextVista! Let me know if you need help.